Sunday, December 28, 2014

I Could Learn to Love This Place

We made it to DC and because my internal alarm clock just won't accept that I'm on vacation, I write from a dark hotel room in Fairfax, VA with the cacophony of a snoring husband and slamming doors of the early bird family across the hall in the background.

We started the trip with a visit to Mount Vernon, which I really enjoyed. Before we left my family got together to do our annual gag gift exchange & one of the gifts was a Travelocity gnome that I stole from my brother and my brother's girlfriend stole again. But, since she is sweet & thought it would be funny, the gnome is now on loan to me for our trip. We haven't roamed alone in DC.

 
Yesterday we went to the Air & Space Museum then browsed a few rooms in the National Gallery and then headed to the Natural History museum. I was surprised to see the crowds at Natural History rival those of Disney on New Year's Eve! I thought this was supposed to be the off season up here. Oh well,  a good time was had by all and, God willing, we will have a chance to re-experience it as locals in the near future. Funny enough, I used the Parking Panda App to reserve a parking spot for the day for $2 (actually $12 but I used a $10 off discount code) and did not realize the spot was in the garage of the Holiday Inn Capitol where many OA candidates stay. Since Parking Panda only identified the garage as 500 C  Street, my garage choice was purely coincidental, since I based my reservation on price and proximity to Air & Space. As my hubby parked the car, I looked up and we landed directly across from several spaces marked reserved for DOS FSI. Maybe this was a sign of good things to come. :)

I did learn the value of good walking shoes up here, though, as my back and feet were screaming by dinnertime yesterday. After our outing on the National Mall we headed to a different mall in Tyson's corner to find me a new pair of shoes. I'm pretty sure my back & feet will thank me today as we conquer the National Zoo. We are enjoying our trip so much that we are considering extending our trip a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment