Wednesday, August 27, 2014

And So It Begins...

Well, today was the first day of my long journey to joining the Foreign Service. Registration for the October FSOT test dates opened at 11am EST (10am CST) and I am now scheduled for the Saturday, October 4, 2014 test date at 11:30am. Since I cannot afford to take time off from my current job, I was forced to choose a testing center in Sarasota (which is an approximately a 1.5 hour drive from my house), but since I'm an early riser, I'm ok with that date, time and location. I had the option of the following Saturday (Oct 11), but I chose the earlier date because I would rather get through it sooner rather than later. I work better under pressure, so I know the next month is going to be jam-packed full of studying (especially since I am very weak in World History/Geography and everything math related). To prepare I have started reading Don't Know Much About History and I have borrowed Cracking the GRE to beef up on my essay writing skills.

Last Friday I visited my Primary Care Physician and he agreed that testing accommodations are appropriate. He completed all necessary forms to request them, but forgot to sign the last page, so I will be making another trip to request his signature very soon. I am asking for 50% more time for the typing portions of the exam (mainly the essay) since my one-handed typing due to the stroke will not cut it in the current time allotted. I don't want any advantage over my fellow testers, but I want to make sure that my dysfunctional left hand will not hold me back from my dream job. I have compensated for the disability for nearly 5 years, but on a test as important as this, compensating is not enough. Accommodating is more appropriate...and my doctor agrees.

Good luck to all of my fellow October testers. May the odds be ever in your favor. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment